Thanks to educational Portal for todays Article. In today's economic climate, paying for technology isn't prudent, and for some students, it isn't even an option. Fortunately, there are plenty of freebies on the web that can help with document creation, research, writing, storage, collaboration, studying and more. Here are 25 free web apps and software programs that may be useful to students.
Teaching & Classroom Resources @ www.theteachinglab.com
- Zoho Office - Zoho Office is an amazing suite of web-based productivity and collaboration tools. The suite includes free email, a word processor, a spreadsheet tool, a presentation creator and more.
- OpenOffice - The OpenOffice suite of tools can do all of the same things as the pricey Microsoft Office--for free.
- Adobe Buzzword - This free Adobe product is an online word processor that works just like a desktop processor--perfect for students who write academic papers and reports.
- Google Docs - Students can store, share, collaborate, and edit documents online with this free Google app.
- Primo Online - Primo Online is a free online creation service that allows users to create free PDF files. Primo supports a wide range of file types.
Research and Writing
- Schoolr - This meta search engine combines other academic search engines to make research faster and more efficient for students.
- Diigo - Diigo is an awesome tool for student researchers. It allows you to highlight and annotate specific portions of web pages. Highlighted info can be shared with other people and accessed from any PC or phone with an Internet connection.
- Ajax-Spell - This free spell checker makes it easy for students to catch misspellings in their writing.
- WordWeb - Designed for Windows users, this one-click thesaurus/dictionary works off-line but can also be used to look up words and information online. The free version of WordWeb can define a word in almost any program and provide information about the word's root, pronunciation and synonyms.
- BibMe - BibMe allows students to cite sources and create bibliographies in a snap. This free bibliography maker auto-fills info for you in MLA, APA, Chicago or Turabian formats.